Good evening OYFA Families and Registered Players,
Tomorrow evening marks the beginning of our Fall 2020 Season and I want to welcome you all and thank you for your patience as we have worked hard to bring football back to the Oceanside Area during these difficult times.
We have some exciting and important updates to share about this season. We have been approved to move into Phase 3 and will be allowed to practice and play tackle football however this season will look different than past seasons. Please ensure to read this email in detail.
Updated Practice Times & Safety Check: Our first practice is Tuesday September 22nd . We will practice every Tuesday and Thursday 6:00pm -7:30pm. Do not arrive at the field more than 15 minutes before the practice time and if you do, please remain in your vehicle until 5:45pm. As your player comes to the field please ensure that they check in with the Safety Officer (At this time this will be me) for a wellness check in front of the Oceanside Youth Football Trailer. All players will be required to sanitize their hands as they enter and leave the facility. If you or your players have any symptoms of a cold, flu, COVID or even just feel unwell, do not come to the practice.
Equipment & Uniforms: We will practice under Phase 2 until all players receive their gear. Effective Tuesday September 29th we will move to Phase 3 and all players will be required to wear long sleeves, football gloves covering hands, long socks that will fully cover the area between the cleats and the bottom of the football pants. Please note Quarterbacks may elect to NOT wear a glove on their throwing hand. All Players are required to use a "soother" or "pacifier" style mouth guards. These will be available for purchase if and when we move to Phase Three. Full clear visors are recommended, and we ask that all players use them. In the event there is a concern for the clear mask from a parent please feel free to contact me.
Items NOT provided by the Club: You will need to ensure your players have long sleeves (effective Sept 29), cleats, and gloves. We recommend purple or yellow when choosing a color for the mandatory long sleeve.
We DO provide all the tackle equipment including socks, new soother style mouth guards, and a visor for the helmet.
Additional Fees: Parents will be required to pay an additional $60 for insurance and fees to BCPFA, BCCFA and Football Canada. We are finalizing how these fees need to be paid and we will provide an update soon.
Equipment Gear Up: You will be required to bring in a $300 deposit cheque posted dated for December 11, 2020 for your player to receive their gear. Please bring this to Michael or our Registrar at the first gear-up day. If you do not bring a cheque, the player will not get their gear with the other players and will not be allowed to participate at the practices. If you do not have a cheque a manual imprint of a credit card can be taken with a signed repayment agreement. Watch for more emails with gear up details.
• Sept 22: First Practice and Start of Skills and Drills Camp 6:30pm-7:30pm
• Sept 24: Second Practice : Conditioning: Skills and Drills 6:30pm-7:30pm
• Field Restrictions: We are limited to a max of 50 people per field for practices and games. Spectators are not permitted on our field. If you choose to watch from another field that is ok as long as you are not on the football field. While doing so we insist that you follow the Province's Health Guidelines and practice social distancing at all times. The Ballenas Parking Lot is the Drop-Off Area which is not considered part of the field.
• Please remember that practices are rain or shine and attendance is mandatory. Please check the forecast prior to the evening's practice and dress accordingly. For the first three practices players will need to be in sweats and long sleeve shirts, have cleats on and have some kind of rain gear if raining. If you are going to miss a practice please let me know at least 24 hours prior to practice.
• All parents will be responsible for familiarizing themselves with the BCPFA Return to Sport Plan https://f13057be-2b47-40af-a6a6-907204bde1b0.filesusr.com/ugd/b48711_b31df107096f4e52a2c2b927fc5f1a4b.pdf and our own OYFA RTS Plan (copies to handed out during the first practice)and ensure that their child understands and adheres to all the requirements.
Games: We will not be traveling outside of the Regional District of Nanaimo. At this time, no game schedule has been confirmed and there is a possibility we may only play in house. We are in discussions with other local clubs and in the event we play some games, the teams will be part of the Cohort model outlined in our OYFA Safety Plan and BCPFA Return to Sport Phase 3 plan.
Our updated Safety Plan and the BCPFA RTS plan can be found on our website.
If you have any questions, please contact me:
September 14 2020
The OYFA has been approved to Return To Sport in Phase 3 by the BCPFA!
Registration is still open but spots are filling up fast. We are limited to 20 Pee Wee Players and 20 Junior Bantam Players so we encourage you to register quickly to secure a spot on the Fall 2020 Roster. The season is scheduled to begin Sept 18, 2020. Please register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
September 7 2020
The OYFA is excited to announce that we have adopted the BCPFA revised guidelines for Return To Sport Phase 3 and are currently awaiting approval for a successful return to football in the Oceanside Area. Fall Football Training will open for registration now for Ages 9-13 (birth years 2007-2011). Practices are Tuesday & Thursday nights from 6-7pm, Sept 18 until Nov 20th.
Registration is limited to 20 Pee Wee players and 20 Junior Bantam Players.
Register at: or email with any questions. Registration is free to all new and returning players as fees have yet to be determined due to the unknown final state of play (contact or no-contact).
Please email us at for any questions or concerns regarding registration and return to play.